Speakout Advanced p 81. Cleft Sentences. Extra Exercises

1. Transform the following, emphasizing the part of the sentence which has been underlined.
0. I find it amazing that he can’t even fry an egg.
  What I find amazing is that he can’t even fry an egg.

1. How old is she? That’s what I’d like to know.
What ____________________________________.
2. He lost his job, so he started up his own business.
He lost his job, so what he ___________________________________________.
3. What I enjoyed most about the film was the music.
It _________________________________________________.
4. They got married in June, not in July.
It _____________________________________________.
5. I didn’t recognize him until he took his hat off.
It was only ______________________________.
6. I only found out she had moved when I spoke to Jerry.
It wasn’t _______________________________________.
7. I don’t know what that noise is. I just switched it on, that’s all.
I don’t know what that noise is. All __________________________________ .
8. He thinks about his precious car and nothing else.
All __________________________________.
 


KEY

1 What I'd like to know is how old she is.



2 He lost his job, so what he did was (to) start up his own business.



3 It was the music that I enjoyed most about the film.



4 It was in June that they got married, not July.



5 It was only when he took his hat off that I recognized him.



6 It wasn’t until I spoke to Jerry that I found out she'd moved.



7 I don’t know what that noise is. All I did was (to) switch it on.



8 All he (ever) thinks about is his precious car.


2. Complete each of the following sentences so that they are true for you.

a. What worries me is ……………………………………………………………
b. What I like most / least about studying/ my job is  …………………………
c. What I’d like to know about ……………………………. is …………………
d. It was in ……………………… that I ………………………………………
e. I didn't enjoy .................... lessons at school. All we ever did was...................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.