Speakout Advanced p 84. Learning the Tango. Extra Word Formation

1_________ (Feel) jaded from life at a desk and 2_________ (arm) with nothing but a love of 3___________ (Argentina) culture, I decided to learn the tango. 4___________(Have) 5_________ (listen) to the music as a child, I already knew the rhythms, so I felt 6_________ (excite) 7_________ (walk) into my first tango class. However, the tango was 8_________ (hard) than it looked and after the first class, my feet were sore and my knees ached. Not 9_________ (want) to give up, I decided to take matters into my own hands (and feet!). Using a CD 10________ (lend) to me by a friend, I practised at home and after a while, I improved. 11__________ (Encourage) by my teacher, I went to a café where you could hear the music and 12___________ (event), 13__________ (have) 14____________ (struggle) with it for months, I got the hang of it. People 15___________ (look) for something a bit different always love the tango. When you're doing it you feel 16____________ (complete) free: the world disappears - it's just you, your partner and the music.

KEY
1. Feeling
jaded: /ˈdʒeɪdɪd/ tired and bored, usually because you have had too much of something. E.g. I felt terribly jaded after working all weekend. It was a meal to tempt even the most jaded palate.



2. armed



3. Argentinian



4. Having



5. listened



6. excited



7. walking



8.  harder
sore /sɔː(r)/ if a part of your body is sore, it is painful, and often red, especially because of infection or because a muscle has been used too much. E.g. to have a sore throat. His feet were sore after the walk. My stomach is still sore (= painful) after the operation.

ache /eɪk/ to feel a continuous dull pain. Hurt. E.g. I'm aching all over. Her eyes ached from lack of sleep. (Figurative) It makes my heart ache (= it makes me sad) to see her suffer.



9. wanting
take something into your own hands to deal with a particular situation yourself because you are not happy with the way that others are dealing with it. E.g. Many people are starting to take privacy protection into their own hands. Mike's mother wouldn't call the doctor, so Mike took matters into his own hands and did it for her.



10. lent



11. Encouraged



12. eventually



13. having



14. struggled
get the hang of something (informal) to learn how to do or to use something; to understand something. E.g. It's not difficult once you get the hang of it. I can't seem to get the hang of this game. I never got the hang of negative numbers.



15. looking



16. completely


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.