Speakout Advanced p 58. Revolutionary Road. Extra Listening





Revolutionary Road

Conversation about Moving to Paris:

APRIL: Frank. I ___________ (have) the most
wonderful idea. I ______________ (think) about it all day.
FRANK: Baby, what’s all this about?
APRIL: You know how much money we ____________(save)...?
(She hands Frank a glass of brandy)
APRIL (CONT’D):Enough to live on for six months without you earning another dime. And with the money we could get from the house and the car, longer
than that.
FRANK: What we could get for the house sweetheart...What __________ (you,  talk) about?
 Where ______________________(we, live)?
APRIL: ...Paris.
(Frank stares)
FRANK: What?
APRIL (CONT’D): You always ______________(say) it was the only
place you ____________ (ever, be) that was worth living. So why don’t we go
there?
FRANK: You’re serious?
APRIL: Yes. What ______________ (stop) us?
FRANK: What _______________ (stop) us? Well, I can think of a number of different things. For example, what kind of a job could I possibly get?
APRIL: You _______________ (get) any kind of job, because I will.
(Frank laughs)
FRANK: Oh, right.
APRIL: _______________ ( not laugh) at me -- listen a minute!
Do you know what they pay for secretarial positions in the
government agencies in Europe?
(Frank laughs again)
FRANK: No, I don’t.
APRIL: Listen Frank. I’m serious about this Frank. Do you think I’m kidding or something?
FRANK: No, I know, I know. I just have a couple of questions, is all. For
one thing, do you mind ___________ (tell) me
what exactly I ______________ (suppose) ____________ (do) while you______________  (be, out, earn) all this money?
(She draws back, shocked that he doesn’t get it)
APRIL
Don’t you see that’s the whole idea? You _______________ (do) what you
________________ (Should,  allow) to do seven years ago. You’ll have time. For the first time in your life. You ______________ (have) time to find out what it is that you actually
want to do, and when you _________(figure) it out you ___________ ( have) the time and the freedom to start doing it.

KEY
 
Conversation about Moving to Paris
APRIL
Frank. I have had the most
wonderful idea. I’ve been thinking
about it all day.
FRANK
What’s all this about?
APRIL
You know how much money we have
saved...?
She hands Frank a glass of brandy.
APRIL (CONT’D)
Enough to live on for six months
without you earning another dime.
And with the money we could get
from the house and the car, longer
than that.
FRANK
What we get for the house...What
are you talking about? Where are
we going to live?
APRIL
...Paris.
Frank stares.
APRIL (CONT’D)
You always said it was the only
place you’d ever been that was
worth living. So why don’t we go
there?
26.
FRANK
You’re serious?
APRIL
Yes. What’s stopping us?
FRANK
What’s stopping us? Well, I can
think of a lot of things. For
instance, what kind of a job could
I possibly get?
APRIL
You won’t be getting any kind of
job, because I will.
Frank laughs.
FRANK
Oh, right.
APRIL
Don’t laugh -- listen a minute!
Have you any idea what they pay for
secretarial positions in the
government agencies in Europe?
Embassies and those things.
Frank laughs again.
FRANK
No, I don’t.
APRIL
I’m serious about this Frank. Do
you think I’m kidding or something?
FRANK
No, I know, I know. I just have a
couple of questions, is all. For
one thing, do you mind telling me
what exactly I’m supposed to be
doing while you’re out earning all
this money?
She draws back, shocked that he doesn’t get it.
27.
APRIL
Don’t you see that’s the whole
idea? You’ll be doing what you
should’ve been allowed to do seven
years ago. You’ll have time,
Frank. You’ll have time to find
out what it is that you actually
want to do, and when you figure it
out you’ll have the time and the
freedom to start doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.