1. Sally and my father _________ on like a house on fire; she loves going to see him.
2. The noise from the neighbours is beginning to _________ on my nerves. I'm going to complain if it doesn't stop soon.
3. His gambling problem has ____________ a great strain on our relationship. I'm seriously thinking of leaving him.
4. It was just a joke - I wasn't trying to _________ you down. I'd never deliberately set out to make anyone feel stupid.
5. The maths teacher _________ it in for me; she was always giving me extra homework or keeping me behind after school.
6. They __________a fairly rocky relationship at first, but they are talking of getting married now.
7. They set up in partnership in 1995, but the relationship _________ sour when Jim's love of whisky began to affect his work.
8. When her father returned after nine years' absence, Sue did not have the heart to ________ her back on him.
9. She'd always approved of his girlfriends before, but she never really _________ to Sandra.
10. Sandra __________ an instant dislike to his mother, but she did her best to hide it.
11. He's well liked, and a lot of the younger members of staff _________ up to him as a role model.
12. I used to __________ down on art students at university, but now they're probably all earning far more than me.
13. He ________ himself to himself on the holiday, eating alone and opting out of the organized excursions.
14. I left over ten years ago, but I've managed to _________ in touch with some of my former colleagues.