Saturday, 30 November 2013
Speakout Advanced p 61. Phrasal Verbs. Exercise 1
1. I ran ____ my teacher at the movies last night.
2. He did not get _______ with his parents. So He ran ________when he was 15.
3. After all the delays, we were anxious to make ______ for lost time.
4. I didn’t want to move abroad but Bill talked me ___________it.
5. They are looking ___________ the problem.
6. Burglars broke ________ Jane's apartment while she was at the movies.
7. Lucy's parents died when she was a baby. Her grandparents brought her _____
8. We don't have school today. The mayor called classes________ because of the snow.
9. I've lost my extra car keys. If you come ___________ them while you are
cleaning the room, please put them in a safe place.
10. George won't be at the office today. He came down _______ the flu over the weekend
1. Into. Run into/across sb: meet sb by chance. Bump into sb.
2. On/ along. Get on/along with sb/together: have a good relationship; away. Run away/off: leave home
3. Up. make up for: Compensate.
4. Into. talk sb into / out of sth: to persuade sb to do / not to do sth
5. Into. Look into sth: to examine sth
6. In/into. break in/into: to enter a building by force.
7. Up. Bring sb up: to care for a child, raise.
8. Off. Call sth off : cancel something that has been scheduled.
9. Across. Come across sth: find (unexpectedly)
10. With. Come down with sth: become ill with sth