Describe an action following these instructions
1. an action happening now
E.g. The builders ________ (mend) the roof
The builders are mending the roof
2. an action not necessarily happening at the moment but occurring about this time
E.g. My husband ________ (rebuild) the garage
My husband is rebuilding the garage
3. a future arranged action
E.g. I __________ (meet) John on Monday
I am meeting John on Monday
4. a frequently occurring action which annoys the speaker
E.g. She ____________ (always, leave) the front door open.
She is always leaving the front door open
5. a temporary action
E.g. I _____________ (currently, juggle) three jobs and a family.
I am currently juggling three jobs, my children's needs and the household chores.
6. an action which began in the past and is still continuing emphasising duration
E.g. I ____________________ (expect) a call from my solicitor all day.
I have been expecting a call from my solicitor all day.
(present perfect continuous)
7. a continuous past action
E.g. It _________ (snow) heavily all day yesterday so I drove carefully
It was snowing heavily all day yesterday so I drove carefully
8. a frequently repeated action in the past
E.g. My old car _______________ (always, break) down.
My old car was always breaking down
9. an interrupted past action (first action interrupted by second)
E.g. He _______________ (race) down the motorway when a tyre burst.
He was racing down the motorway when a tyre burst.
race: move fast.
10. two actions in the past occurring simultaneously
E.g. I __________ (clean) the windscreen while they __________ (put) the luggage in the boot.
I was cleaning the windscreen while they were putting the luggage in the boot.
boot: the space at the back of a car that you put bags, cases, etc. in
bonnet: the metal part over the front of a vehicle, usually covering the engine.
11. an intention in the past
E.g. I _____________ (buy) a car but I didn't have enough money
I was going to buy a car but I didn't have enough money
12. a request without being direct
E.g. I ___________ (wonder) if I could have a lift home
I was wondering if I could borrow some money
13. a continuous past action completed before another past action
E.g. He ________________ (drive) all day, so he was very tired when he arrived
He had been driving all day, so he was very tired when he arrived
(past perfect continuous)
14. an action which in progress at a certain time in the future
E.g. This time next week, we _______________ (listen) to the BBC
This time next week, we will be listening to the BBC
15. an action which began before a certain future time and is not over
E.g. By next month I _____________ (teach) English for 25 years
By next month I will have been teaching English for 25 years
(future perfect continuous)