LINKING, EXPLAINING AND CONTRASTING
Choose one or two correct alternatives for each sentence
It is difficult to imagine a world without money, though of course, it hasn´t always been around.
1. A First of all, B Once upon a time, C Firstly, D In the beginning, people would exchange sheep for ivory, or goats for weapons.
2. A Sincerely, B Of course, C Naturally, this could be inconvenient.
3. An easier way of trading was needed, A so that B because C that´s why money had to be invented.
4. A Lately, B Once, C Eventually, four-and-a-half thousand years ago in Mesopotamia (now southern Iraq) someone had a brilliant idea.
5. They realized that it would be easier A for B in order to C to buy and sell by using standard weights of silver.
6. This was a marvellous invention because A unless B otherwise C instead we might still be swapping things for sheep and goats!
7. However, it wasn´t A before B by C until the seventh century BC that the first coins appeared in the ancient kingdom of Lydia (now Turkey).
8. A During B By C Over the next few centuries, the use of coins spread to other civilized countries.
9. Rulers wanted to control the issue of coins, A because B so C so that D that´s why they were stamped with the head of the ruler and their value.
10. A As B While C Because precious metals like silver and gold were used, they were actually worth the weight of the metal.
11. Chinese copper coins were A so B too C very D really heavy to carry that people kept them with merchants,
12. A which B whom C that D who gave their customers receipts written on pieces of paper.
13. A After B Afterwards C - they would use them
14. A like B as C for D instead money.
15. A Eventually, B Lastly, in the fourteenth century, the Chinese government introduced the first paper money.
16. A Because B Although C Despite people were suspicious at first, they accepted it.
17. Nowadays, nobody thinks twice about using paper money, A despite B although C while it only has symbolic rather than intrinsic value. (This is true of coins, too).
18. There is nothing new in this A so B because C that´s why D as tribes have traded for centuries using shells and even feathers as currency.
19. A Nowadays, B These days, C Actually, less and less cash is used and we pay for expensive items like laptops and cars by cheque and credit card.
20. A In fact, B Really, C Nevertheless, people predict that, by the end of the century, coins and paper money will have been completely replaced by plastic money.
1. B and D.
2. B and C.
10. A and C.
18. B and D.
19. A and B.