Speakout Advanced p 15. Key and Vocabulary

Ex 4
KEY

1 It seems to me that she’s a bit lonely.



2 He gives the impression of being angry.



3 I reckon she’s probably an actress.



4 If I had to make a guess, I’d say she was happy with her life.



5 I’m pretty sure he’s not telling us everything.



6 I’d hazard a guess that she’s an only child.


Ex 5
KEY

Vague language sounds casual.

Speakout Tip
Hedge: a word or phrase used to avoid overprecise commitment, for example etc., often, or sometimes, I suppose, probably, I guess I'd.

Ex 6A 
KEY
 
1 a couple of 



2 at about 8-ish 



3 stuffs 



4 got a plenty of 



5 sort of 



6 forty or so

6B
Elision /ɪˈlɪʒn/
/t/ and /d/ are the two sounds which are most commonly elided /iˈlaɪdɪd/ in English, when they have a consonant sound before and after e.g. Why don’t we. An old man.
The /t/ and /d/ sounds are also elided (or glottalised) when they are preceded by a vowel and followed by a consonant which means that instead of pronouncing the sound, we briefly close the vocal chords and then open them again, e.g. about forty.

KEY

1 linking
2 Why don’t we meet at about eight-ish?
3 I left a lot of stuff at the hotel, but I can pick it up later.
4 Don’t worry. We’ve got plenty of time.
5 We’ve sort of finished the accounts.
6 There’ll be about forty or so people attending.


2 Elision
2 Why don’t we meet at about eight-ish?
3 I left a lot of stuff at the hotel, but I can pick it up later.
4 Don’t worry. We’ve got plenty of time.
5 We’ve sort of finished the accounts.
6 There’ll be about forty or so people attending. 


6C

KEY
linking  elision
1 It looks as if he’s got a lot of work to do.
2 She looks about fifty or so. 3 It’s a bit dark, isn’t it?
4 I’ve got a couple of things to ask. 


7B
If you had a portrait painted of you,

where would you be?
what kind of portrait would you like to have?
what would you wear? 
what pose would you choose?
what mood would you be in? 
would there be any other objects in the portrait?
would you be on your own? 
would it be formal or informal?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.