Present/ future reference
1. I'd love to have a motorbike
I _____________________a motorbike.
2. What a shame you are leaving
I __________________ leaving.
3. You are going on holiday next week but unfortunately I am not going.
I __________________ on holiday with you next week.
4. I am sorry but I don't have an extra copy. If I had one, I would gladly give it to you.
____________________an extra copy, I would gladly give it to you.
5. I am not rich. What a pity!
6. I'd love to earn more money.
7. Please keep it a secret for the time being.
8. Would you mind not smoking at table?
I ________________________ at table.
9. My parents would prefer us to live in the country.
My parents ___________________ in the country.
10. She doesn't want to borrow any money from you.
She _____________________ any money from you.
11. I think Jeanne would definitely prefer to have a traditional wedding.
I think Jeanne ____________________________ a traditional wedding.
12. Pauline doesn't want to be given a main part in the school play.
Pauline _______________________ a main part in the school play.
13. Jan thinks we should buy a house and not carry on renting.
14. I am not begging in the streets. Do you think it would be better?
____________________________________ in the streets?
15. To be honest, I'd prefer you not to tell anyone about this.
To be honest, I _____________________ anyone about this.
16. It's raining outside so I think it is a better idea to watch TV
It's raining outside, so I __________________________ TV
17. He doesn't want to talk to her.
He _________________________ to her.
18. He doesn't want to travel
He _________________________ travel.
19. I don't think it is a good idea that you go so far.
I ___________________________ so far
20. Come with us!
I ________________ with us.
21. Why don't you join me for a ride? I would love it.
I __________________ for a ride.
22. We didn't have anything to eat earlier. We should have eaten something.
I ___________________ something to eat earlier.
23. I missed my appointment. I shouldn't have missed it.
I ___________________ my appointment
24. If I had lived in the eighteenth century, I would have been happy
I ___________________ in the eighteenth century.
25. If I hadn't eaten so much, it would have been better for me.
___________________ so much!
26. I'm soaked to the skin! I should have brought an umbrella.
I'm soaked to the skin! ___________________ an umbrella.
27. This pullover was cheap. I should have bought two of them.
This pullover was cheap. __________________ two of them.
28. Of course I would have preferred you to tell me the truth!
Of course I ___________________________me the truth!
29. We would have preferred them not to have stayed so long, that's true.
We _____________________________________ so long, that's true.
30. He told someone. I didn't like that.
31. I wish I hadn't known
32. The dinner was awful. He wishes he hadn't eaten at all.
The dinner was awful. He ____________________ at all.
33. That was something she wishes she hadn't seen.
That was something she ____________________.
34. It's a shame she stopped. I wish she had carried on and been very successful.
It's a shame she stopped. I _____________________________ very successful.
35. I think we shouldn't have stayed so long.
I _______________________ so long.
36. You shouldn't have spoken so rudely to him.
I _______________________so rudely to him.
37. I shouldn't have said anything about it. But I had to
I ____________________ anything about it. But I had to
38. I should have had a light lunch before the meeting.
I _________________ a light lunch before the meeting.
39. He gave the impression that he wished he had stayed home alone.
He gave the impression that he ___________________ home alone.
40. She didn't see the play. She wishes she had seen it.
She __________________ the play.
41. I should have gone to Paris with them.
I ______________________ to Paris with them.
42. I wish you had won
1. I wish I had a motorbike
2. I wish you weren't leaving
3. I wish I was going on holiday with you next week.
4. If only I had an extra copy, I would gladly give it to you.
5. If only I were rich.
6. If only I earned more money.
7. I'd rather you kept it a secret.
8. I'd rather you didn't smoke.
9. My parents would rather we lived in the country.
10. She'd rather not borrow any money from you.
11. I think Jeanne would definitely rather have a traditional wedding.
12. Pauline would rather not be given a main part in the school play.
13. Jan would sooner we bought a house than carried on renting.
14. Would you sooner I was begging in the streets?
15. To be honest, I'd sooner you didn't tell anyone about this.
16. It's raining outside, so I'd sooner watch TV
17. He'd sooner not talk to her.
18. He'd sooner not travel
19. I'd prefer you not to go so far / I'd prefer it if you didn't go so far
20. I'd love you to come with us/ I would love it if you came with us
21. I'd like you to join me for a ride/ I would like it if you joined me for a ride
22. I wish we had had something to eat earlier.
23. I wish I hadn't missed my appointment.
24. I wish I had lived in the eighteenth century.
25. If only I hadn't eaten so much.
26. I'm soaked to the skin! If only I had brought an umbrella.
27. This pullover was cheap. If only I had bought two of them.
28. Of course I'd rather you had told me the truth!
29. We'd rather they hadn't stayed so long, that's true.
30. I'd rather he hadn't told anyone
31. I'd rather not have known
32. The dinner was awful. He'd rather not have eaten at all.
33. That was something she would rather not have seen.
34. It's a shame she stopped. I'd sooner she had carried on and been very successful.
35. I'd sooner we hadn't stayed so long.
36. I'd sooner you hadn't spoken so rudely to him.
37. I'd sooner not have said anything about it. But I had to
38. I'd sooner have had a light lunch before the meeting.
39. He gave the impression that he would sooner have stayed home alone
40. She would like to have seen the play
41. I would love to have gone to Paris with them.
42. I would have preferred you to have won. / I would prefer you to have won/ I would have preferred you to win