Speakout Advanced p 21. Wishes and Regrets. Extra Rephrasing

Write a word or short phrase in each gap so that each second sentence has a similar meaning to the first sentence.
1. We'd prefer the successful candidate to have previous experience in the field.
We'd rather the successful candidate ..................................................previous experience in the field.
2. Would you prefer me to come back later?
Would you rather .......................................... later?
3. To be honest, I'd prefer you not to tell anyone about this.
To be honest, I'd rather ......................................... anyone about this.
4. I'd prefer us to get a new kitchen rather than go on an expensive holiday.
I'd sooner ..................................a new kitchen than .......................................... on an expensive holiday.
5. Dad said he'd prefer Brian to be living nearer home and I agree with him.
Dad said he'd rather Brian ......................................................... nearer home and I agree with him.
6. I would prefer her to be sent on a training course rather than sacked.
I would rather ........................................................... on a training course than sacked.
7. I'd prefer us not to talk about this right now, if you don't mind.
I'd sooner .................................................. about this right now, if you don't mind.
8. Of course I would have preferred you to tell me the truth!
Of course I would rather ............................................ me the truth!
9. I think Jeanne would definitely prefer to have a traditional wedding.
I think Jeanne would definitely rather ..........................................a traditional wedding.
10.We would have preferred them not to have stayed so long, that's true.
We would sooner ...................................................... so long, that's true.



KEY

1.  had



2. I came back



3. you didn't tell



4. we got



went



5. was living/ lived



6. she was sent/ were sent



7. we didn't talk/ not talk



8. you'd told



9. have



10. they hadn't stayed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.