Complete each sentence with a suitable form of the verb in brackets.
1. Now we’re lost! If you __________________ (write down) Mary’s directions, this __________________ (not/happen).
2. Why don’t we emigrate? If we _________________ (live) in Australia, at least the weather ______________________ (be) better!
3. I’m afraid that Smith is a hardened criminal. If we _________________ (not/punish) him this time, he _________________ (only/commit) more crimes.
4. Thanks to Dr Jones, I’m still alive! If it _________________ (not/be) for her. I _________________ (be) dead for certain.
5. I’m sorry I can’t lend you any money. You know that if I ____________________________ (have) it, I ____________________________ (lend) it to you.
6. Don’t be afraid. If you __________________________ (touch) the dog, it __________________________ (not/bite).
7. In those days, if you __________________ (have) a job, you __________________________ (be) lucky.
8. It’s always the same! If I _________________ (decide) to leave the office early, my boss _____________________ (call) me after I’ve left!
9. What a terrible thing to happen! Just think, if we __________________ (not/ miss) the plane, we __________________ (kill) in the crash.
10. Did you enjoy your meal? If you __________________ (finish) eating, I _____________________ (clear away) the plates.
1. had written down,
would not have happened
3. do not punish,
will only commit
4. had not been/were not/was not,
9. had not missed,
would have been killed
10. have finished,
will clear away