Speakout Advanced p 11. Key and Vocabulary

Ex 1A

suit: /suːt/ /sjuːt/ to be convenient or useful for somebody. E.g. suit somebody/something Choose a computer to suit your particular needs.

analytical: using a logical method of thinking about something in order to understand it, especially by looking at all the parts separately. E.g. She has a clear analytical mind.

tendency to: E.g. I have a tendency to talk too much when I'm nervous.
 
focus: /ˈfəʊkəs/ e.g The discussion focused on three main problems.

extrovert: /ˈekstrəvɜːt/ (noun) E.g. I'm an extrovert. He is very quiet, whereas she is an extrovert.

extrovert or extroverted /ˈekstrəʊˌvɜː(r)tɪd/ (adj) E.g. I might even be extroverted to a fault (too much), relying on socializing to energize me.

introvert (noun) /ˈɪntrəvɜːt/ E.g. He was described as an introvert, a reserved man who spoke little.

introverted /ˈɪntrəvɜːtɪd/ or introvert (adj) E.g. His teachers perceived him as shy and introverted. She was as naturally extroverted as Paul was painfully introverted. 

As a rule: what is true in most cases. E.g. I go to bed early as a rule. As a general rule vegetable oils are better for you than animal fats. 



take a risk/ take risks: to do something even though you know that something bad could happen as a result. E.g. That's a risk I'm not prepared to take. You have no right to take risks with other people's lives. 

figure out: /ˈfɪɡə(r)/ to think about somebody/something until you understand them/it. Work out. E.g. We couldn't figure her out. Figure out how, what, etc… I can't figure out how to do this.

inclined to do something: tending to do something; likely to do something. E.g. He's inclined to be lazy. They'll be more inclined to listen if you don't shout. 

inclination to do something a tendency to do something. E.g. There is an inclination to treat geography as a less important subject. 

ear: an ability to recognize and copy sounds well. E.g. She has always had an ear for languages. You need a good ear to master the piano.

nine times out of ten: almost every time. E.g. I'm always emailing her, but nine times out of ten she doesn't reply.

prone: /prəʊn/ likely to suffer from something or to do something bad. E.g. prone to make/ making mistakes.

overcome: /ˌəʊvəˈkʌm/ to succeed in dealing with or controlling a problem that has been preventing you from achieving something. E.g. She overcame injury to win the Olympic gold medal. The two parties managed to overcome their differences on the issue. He finally managed to overcome his fear of flying.

tend to do something to be likely to do something or to happen in a particular way because this is what often or usually happens. E.g. Women tend to live longer than men. When I'm tired, I tend to make mistakes. It tends to get very cold here in the winter.

set something: to fix something so that others copy it or try to achieve it. E.g. This could set a new fashion. They set high standards of customer service. I am unwilling to set a precedent. She set a new world record for the high jump. I rely on you to set a good example. I set myself goals to improve my pronunciation.

Ex 2A

2 I’m always watching videos…/ I’m always looking for opportunities… 


4 inclined 

 inclined to do something: tending to do something; likely to do something. E.g. He's inclined to be lazy. They'll be more inclined to listen if you don't shout. 

inclination to do something a tendency to do something. E.g. There is an inclination to treat geography as a less important subject. 


5 a tendency 

prone: /prəʊn/ likely to suffer from something or to do something bad. E.g. prone to make/ making mistakes.

tend to do something to be likely to do something or to happen in a particular way because this is what often or usually happens. E.g. Women tend to live longer than men. When I'm tired, I tend to make mistakes. It tends to get very cold here in the winter.

tendency to: E.g. I have a tendency to talk too much when I'm nervous.


6 rule

As a rule: what is true in most cases. E.g. I go to bed early as a rule. As a general rule vegetable oils are better for you than animal fats.



 

7 out of ten 

nine times out of ten: almost every time. E.g. I'm always emailing her, but nine times out of ten she doesn't reply.


8 I would spend hours studying… 


11
forever: continually. E.g. they are forever on the move. I was forever making mistakes.


10 I kept making mistakes


13 I tended to 

tend to do something to be likely to do something or to happen in a particular way because this is what often or usually happens. E.g. Women tend to live longer than men. When I'm tired, I tend to make mistakes. It tends to get very cold here in the winter.


Ex 2B


1 She kept on making mistakes. 


2 He’ll spend hours studying grammar. 


3 They would complain all the time.

Ex 2C

The stress is on a different word in the two versions. In the B sentences the stress is on kept / will / would and the effect is to make the speaker sound irritated or annoyed about the habit.

p 128

nag: to keep complaining to somebody about their behaviour or keep asking them to do something. E.g. Stop nagging—I'll do it as soon as I can. She had been nagging him to paint the fence. They will keep nagging me to go and visit them.

go on (about somebody/something): (informal) to talk about somebody/something for a long time, especially in a boring or complaining way. E.g. He went on and on about how poor he was. She does go on sometimes! He would keep going on about his brother. It drove me mad.

laid-back: calm and relaxed; seeming not to worry about anything. Easy-going. E.g. a laid-back attitude to life. She's very laid-back about her exams. He was being very laid-back about it all. She's always so laid-back about everything. My parents tended to be very laid-back.

p 129
Ex 1

1 On Sunday mornings, I’ll/will get up early and go for a run along the river before anyone else is awake. 


2 I’ll/will sometimes wait for hours before the bus arrives. 


3 My mother-in-law will always bake a cake for us when we visit. 


4 He will keep bothering me for my telephone number, but I don’t want to give it to him. 


5 The children won’t stop fighting. It’s driving me crazy. 


6 She will spend the first half an hour chatting before she even starts work. 


7 My parents would take us on camping holidays in the rain. We hated it. 


8 My grandfather wouldn’t shout, or tell you off. He was a very gentle man.

Ex2

1 The drug has a tendency to cause headaches if used for prolonged periods. 


2 He is inclined to buy paintings which cost far too much money. 


3 We’re prone to arguing/argue about politics at the dinner table. 


4 I keep wondering whether or not I’ve been given the job.
 


5 She is always making a fuss about the way I dress.
 


6 They kept cheating at cards, so I decided not to play with them. 


7 As a rule, I don’t use a lot of herbs and spices in my cooking. 


8 My father would always bring me back a present from his travels.

P 11 PRACTICE
Ex 3A

2 My mother is prone to worrying about everything. 


3 He keeps failing his driving test. 


4 I’m not inclined to be very laid-back. 


5 I’m always looking for new things to learn. 


6 As a rule, I try not to work at the weekend. 


7 Nine times out of ten I’ll be right about my first impressions. 


8 As a child I would spend hours reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.