Speakou Advanced p 11. Describing Habits. Extra Grammar






Remember the difference between used to do and used to doing.


When we describe habits, we describe what people usually or often do. The following words are used to describe habits. These words are ADVERBS.



 OFTEN    USUALLY    ALWAYS    RARELY     SELDOM     NEVER

Here are some ways that we use to describe people's habits:

1)   Present habit:



a)   We can use 'will' to describe present habits and behaviour whether it is good or bad.

She'll tell you all about her life even if you're not interested.

He will always wake up early.



b)   To express annoyance we tend to use the 'present continuous + always, keeps + ing' or 'will keep + ing' in the same way.

He’s always complaining.

He keeps texting me.

They will keep reminding me to go and visit them.



c)   'Keep (on)' is used to emphasise that the action is repeated frequently.

I'm sorry but I keep on forgetting your name.



d)   'Tend to' is used with repeated actions and typical states.

She tends to speak very loudly.



2)   Other phrases to describe a present habit:



a)   I have an inclination to/I’m inclined to + infinitive without to



b)   I’m prone to/ I tend to/ I have a tendency to



c)   As a rule, …



d)   Nine times out of ten …





3)   Past habit:



a)   For past habits we can use 'would'.

My father would take me fishing every Saturday.



b)   It is important to remember that 'will/would' are used to describe habits not states:

He would get angry very quickly. NOT He would be angry very quickly.



c)   And the 'past continuous + always, keep +ing and would keep + ing' are used in the same way.

My sister was always telling me what to do.

He kept asking for a refund, but he was ignored.

They would keep reminding me to go and visit them.



d)   'Keep (on)' is used to emphasise that the action is repeated frequently.

He just kept asking her to marry him, until in the end she said yes!

e)   'Tend to' is used with repeated actions and typical states.

She tended to be rather shy in new company.



4)   Other phrases to describe a past habit:



a)   I was prone to



b)   I tended to

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.