Sunday, 6 October 2013
Speakout Advanced p 6. Sergey Brin and Larry Page: The Genesis of Google. Extra Listening
1. What do the rising dots represent?
2. What do the colours mean?
3. Where is there not much activity? Why?
4. How many queries per second are there?
5. Where are these queries available?
6. How can the data be transmitted?
7. What do they spend most of their time doing at Google?
8. What can the queries be about?
9. What are Google embarking upon?
10. What do Google grants serve?
11. What is the Singaporean businessman sponsoring?
12. What has Orkut built?
1. People logging on to Google around the world. Every rising dot represents probably about 20, 30 searches.
2. The language they use
3. Australia. Because there aren’t many people there.
Africa (no power)
4. Thousands per second
5. Everywhere there is power
6. Through fibres, satellites, and all kinds of connections
7. Making sure that they can keep up with this kind of traffic load
8. Somebody’s health, somebody’s career, something important to them, or something as important as tomato sauce.
9. They want to have more searches, they want to have more people who are healthy and educated. They want to make the world a better place. They are embarking upon the Google Foundation.
10. It serves over 150 different charities around the world.
11. A village of 25 Vietnamese girls for their education.
12. A social network