Speakout Advanced p 72. Concession Clauses. Extra Key Word Transformations

1. Although she has no real problems, she's always complaining
YET
__________________________ she's always complaining
2. You're sometimes right. On the other hand, you're wrong some other times.
WHILE
___________________________ you're wrong some other times.
3. She is my friend but I don't really understand her.
EVEN
_____________________ I don't really understand her.
4. Although her opponents were strong, she won the match.
OF
Despite _____________________ her opponents, she won the match.
5. The trip was enjoyable even though the weather was bad.
OF
The trip was enjoyable __________________________.
6.  I detest having to go to the city centre during the day for work. Nevertheless, it is worth it for the exquisite lunch I get.
AS
____________________________ go to the city centre during the day for work, it is worth it for the exquisite lunch I get.
7. My sister is very patient. However, I often lose my temper.
WHEREAS
______________________________I often lose my temper.
8. Your success was due to hard work. On the other hand, mine was due to good luck.
WHILST
Your success ______________________ mine was due to good luck.
9. So far, it's proved to be the best house I have come across. It is incredibly expensive though.
THOUGH
So far, it's proved to be the best house ______________________________ expensive. 
10. Even though he is young, he has already mastered three foreign languages.
AS
______________________, he has already mastered three foreign languages.  
11. I attempted to calm myself and rest, but the panic within me grew. 
MUCH
_______________________________ myself and rest, the panic within me grew. 
12. Although he tries, he will never be top of his class.  
AS
______________________does , he will never be top of his class.  
13. While I ​respect him very much, I can't ​agree with him on this ​occasion.
HOWEVER
_____________________________, I can't ​agree with him on this ​occasion.
14. He's not very reliable. Nevertheless, I like him.
SAME
He's not very reliable, but ________________________.
15. I know he has some bad habits. Nevertheless, you shouldn't be so rude to him.
SO
I know he has some bad habits. You shouldn't be so_________________________.    

KEY
1. She has no real problems, yet she's always complaining



2. While you're sometimes right, you're wrong some other times.



3. Even though she is my friend, I don't really understand her.



4. Despite the strength of her opponents, she won the match.



5. The trip was enjoyable in spite of the (bad) weather.



6. Much as I detest having to go to the city centre during the day for work, it is worth it for the exquisite lunch I get.



7. My sister is very patient, whereas I often lose my temper. OR Whereas my sister is very patient, I often lose my temper.



8. Your success was due to hard work whilst mine was due to good luck.



9. So far, it's proved to be the best house I have come across, though incredibly expensive.



10. Young as he is, he has already mastered three foreign languages. 



11. Much as I attempted to calm myself and rest, the panic within me grew.  



12. Try as he does, he will never be top of his class.  



13. However much I ​respect him, I can't ​agree with him on this ​occasion.



14. He's not very reliable, but I like him just/all the same.  



15. I know he has some bad habits. You shouldn't be so rude to him, even so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.