Speakout Advanced p 63. Keys and Vocabulary

Ex 3C
KEY
1 The reason why I say that is …



2 Let me put it this way.



3 I think you’ll find that …



4 The point I’m trying to make is that …



5 Can you be sure about that?



6 But that’s not the point.



7 But that doesn’t take account of the fact that …

p 137
Ex 1
KEY

1 What I’m saying is



2 The facts suggest



3 the point is



4 Do you think that is always the case?



5 After all,



6 There are several reasons why I think



7 if you think about it,



8 I don’t see how you can say that



9 let me put it this way



10 the point I’m trying to make is


Ex 4
KEY
1 put it this way
disclose: to give somebody information about something, especially something that was previously secret. Reveal. E.g. The spokesman refused to disclose details of the takeover to the press. The report discloses that human error was to blame for the accident. It was disclosed that two women were being interviewed by the police. I cannot disclose what we discussed.


 
2 don’t see how you can





3 doesn’t take account of the fact



4 I’m basically saying



5 you’ll find that


Ex 5A

off: down or away from a place or at a distance in space or time. E.g. I fell off the ladder. We're getting right off the subject.

reluctant: hesitating before doing something because you do not want to do it or because you are not sure that it is the right thing to do. E.g. She was reluctant to admit she was wrong.

collect yourself/your thoughts 1 to try to control your emotions and become calm. E.g. I'm fine—I just need a minute to collect myself. 2 to prepare yourself mentally for something. E.g. She paused to collect her thoughts before entering the interview room.

Ex 5B
KEY

1 Where do you stand on this? 
stand (on something) to have a particular attitude or opinion about something or towards somebody. E.g. Where do you stand on private education?



2 Sorry, and another thing … 



3 I suppose, if you think about it …
 



4 Getting back to the point, which is …



Ex 6A
tap something (especially British English) to fit a device to a telephone so that somebody's calls can be listened to secretly. E.g. He was convinced his phone was being tapped. The telephones were tapped by the state security police.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.