Empower p 56. RELATIVE CLAUSES. Extra Rephrasing



Make one sentence from the sentences given, beginning as shown. Make any other necessary changes. Omit any unnecessary relative pronouns.

1.       We eventually caught a train. It was one that stops at every station.
The train _______________________________________ at every station.
2.       Carol slammed the door behind her. Her father had given her a car as a present. She drove off in it.
Slamming __________________________________________________
3.       At the end of the street was a building. The street was crowded with shoppers. Tom had not noticed the building before.
At the end of the street _______________________________________

4.       Some people have just moved in next door. They have the same surname as some other people. Those other people have just moved out.
The people who have just moved in next door ______________________

5.       I noticed that the door was open. I decided to go in. This turned out to be a mistake.
Noticing ____________________________________________________
6.       I listened to George patiently until he started insulting me. At that point, I told him a few home truths. He didn’t like it.
I listened to George patiently until he started insulting me, ______________

7.       Pauline asked me a question. I had no reply to it.
Pauline asked me ___________________________________
8.       He rushed out of the room. He was shouting at the top of his voice. This was typical.
Shouting __________________________________________
9.       Some people wanted travel scholarships. The end of the week was the deadline. By then everyone had applied.
By the end of the week _______________________________


KEY


         1. The train we eventually caught was one that stops at every station.


 
2. Slamming the door, Carol drove off in the car her father had given her as a present.



3. At the end of the street, which was crowded with shoppers, there was a building Tom had not noticed before.



4. The people who have just moved in next door have the same surname as the people who have just moved out.



5. Noticing the door was open, I decided to go in, which turned out to be a mistake.



6. I listened to George patiently until he started insulting me, at which point I told him a few home truths he didn’t like.


Home truth: a true but unpleasant fact about a person, usually told to them by somebody else. E.g. It's time you told him a few home truths.



7. Pauline asked me a question to which I had no reply.



8. Shouting at the top of his voice, which was typical, he rushed out of the room. 



9. By the end of the week, which was the deadline, everyone who wanted travel scholarship had applied (for them).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.