Open World SB p 16. Grammar

Watch video: grammar on the move

Do Ex 1

rainbow family

1. A family in which the primary guardians are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or transsexual.

2. A multicultural family

Do Ex 2

Do Ex 3

Do Ex 4 

Do Ex 5

Do Ex 6

p 200 Ex 1

Question tags

NOTE: 

Imperatives:

With imperatives we use can you?, can't you?, could you?, couldn't you?, will you?, won't you?, would you?

Take a seat, won't you?     (polite invitation)

Help me, can you?     (quite friendly)

Help me, can't you?     (quite friendly (some irritation?))

Close the door, would you?     (quite polite)

Do it now, will you?     (less polite)

Wait here a moment, can you?

Give me an example, could you?

Sit down, will you?

Sit down, won't you?

Be quiet, will you?

Be quiet, won't you?

 

After the negative imperative Don't... the tag is will you?

E.g. 

Don't forget, will you?    (with negative imperatives only will is possible)

Don't make any noise, will you?

Don't be late, will you?

 

After Let's... the tag is shall we?

E.g.

Let's sit in the garden, shall we?

Let's go to the cinema, shall we?

 

After I'm..., the negative question tag is aren't I?

I'm right, aren't I? 

After a negative sentence, the positive question tag is am I?

I'm never on time, am I? 

 

Note that we use a positive tag with they after no one or nobody

E.g

Nobody likes it, do they


The adverbs never, rarely, seldom, hardly, barely and scarcely have a negative sense. We treat statements with these words like negative statements, so the question tag is normally positive.

He never came again, did he

She can rarely come these days, can she

You hardly ever came late, did you

I barely know you, do I

You would scarcely expect her to know that, would you?

 

We can use a positive tag after a positive sentence when we want to confirm information, often after repeating what a previous speaker said. A negative tag after a negative sentence is very rare.

That's your new car, is it?

So, the students are planning a protest, are they?

 

 

Short questions in replies

We can use a short question to reply to what someone says. We do this to show interest, surprise or uncertainty. The meaning is like Really? or Is that true?

- I've never eaten spaghetti

- Haven't you? (surprise) 


- We're leaving at 6.00.

- Are we? (not sure)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.