Sunday, 1 November 2009

Ready for CAE p 20. Past Tense: Matt Cardle sings The First Time (Ever I Saw Your Face). Extra Listening

In this song you have the verbs: rise, rose, risen and lie, lay, lain (both intransitive). Don't confuse them with their transitive counterparts: raise, raised and lay, laid, laid.

Also notice the structure: "the first time I did something" and compare it with these other structures that need to be followed by the perfect form (not the past simple):

- This/that/it is the first/second/third...time I have done something
- That/it was the first/second/third...time I had done something




First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

The first time ever I saw your face
I thought the sun ____________ in your eyes
And the moon and stars were the __________ you gave
To the ___________ and the empty skies

And the first time ever I _____________ with you
I felt your heart so ___________ to mine

The first time ever I saw your face, your face,
your face, your face


KEY:

First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

The first time ever I saw your face
I thought the sun rose in your eyes
And the moon and stars were the gifts you gave
To the dark and the empty skies

And the first time ever I lay with you
I felt your heart so close to mine
The first time ever I saw your face, your face,
your face, your face

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.