Open World p 12. The Future and Vocabulary Practice

Listening

Furure Prospects

What are the reasons why people generally want to learn English? 

Do Ex 1

wanderlust /ˈwɒndəlʌst/ 

a strong desire to travel

E.g. 

What I like about him most is his wanderlust.

The wish to travel far away and to many different places: In July wanderlust takes over the whole nation.

Springtime always refreshes my curiosity and ignites my wanderlust.

Do you have wanderlust? 

How do you feed your wanderlust?

get/have itchy feet
​(informal) to want to travel or move to a different place; to want to do something different.

E.g.


After a few years in one place, I get itchy feet. 

Do you sometimes get itchy feet?

glass ceiling



the way in which unfair attitudes can stop women, or other groups, from getting the best jobs in a company, etc. although there are no official rules to prevent them from getting these jobs

E.g. 

We've got to recognise that many women in our organisation, for example, perceive a glass ceiling
She is one of a handful of women who have broken the glass ceiling in business.
As a result of hitting the glass ceiling in corporate America, African American women are starting businesses of their own.

Various reasons are given for the apparent glass ceiling women hit in many professions 

In what areas have you perceived that there is a glass ceiling?

 

Do Ex 2

Have you ever launched a new blog or website? What for?

Do you think it could be useful to record all the new words you are learning?


enhance /ɪnˈhɑːns/ 

enhance something 

to increase or further improve the good quality, value or status of somebody/something.

E.g.
This is an opportunity to enhance the reputation of the company.
things that can significantly enhance the quality of your life
The runner says he's never used steroids to enhance his performance.
The new initiative will enhance our ability to respond to threats abroad.
The project was designed to enhance the experience of museum visitors.
the skilled use of make-up to enhance your best features
The techniques should greatly enhance the prospects for children with learning difficulties.
These latest discoveries have further enhanced our understanding of the origins of the universe.

What strategies help you to enhance your ability to remember new words? 

What skills could help you to enhance your employability?

 



Script

Track 004

Speaker 1 - Miroo

Miroo: Well, you know, a lot of computer games originate from my country, South Korea. And they’ve gone on to conquer the world in a way.

I started a blog, originally in Korean, for gamers. It’s done really well, but of course it’s restricted to people who know Korean.

So now I’ve launched a new blog in English, and I hope it’ll manage to get more visitors from all over the world.

So far, so good, I’d say. I don’t want there to be any mistakes in the content I write, so I’m going to work hard on my English, starting next week.

The idea is that if I get enough followers in the future, then I’ll be able to earn money from advertisers. And if I’m global, it could be huge!

Speaker 2 - Johan

Johan: I’m from Germany, and there’s a great word in English that comes from German wanderlust – and it’s from the German words for hiking and love.

But these days wanderlust means a love for exploring the world.

I’ve definitely got it, and for me, that’s the principal motivation for learning English.

I’ve been saving up money by spending a year working on an oil rig and that comes to an end next month. And then the plan is for me to go backpacking around the world.

The Grand Canyon in the USA is one destination I’m really excited about.

So yeah, I imagine that I’ll basically be on the road until I run out of cash.

Speaker 3 - Moufida

Moufida: In my country, Tunisia, it’s normal to be bilingual because French is widely spoken, along with Arabic, just like in many other North African countries.

But in career terms, I’m concerned that if someone knows just those two languages, there might be a …

I think the term is glass ceiling, you know, you can only be promoted so far in an organization, but no further. But to really do well, you need to be proficient in English as well.

I’m ambitious – my English is going to enhance my employability. In fact, I am taking the Cambridge Advanced exam in October. One thing is for certain: when I’m older, I’ll still continue to work on my English, really push myself to improve. You never stop learning a language


Do Ex 3

Grammar

Watch grammar on the move video

Open World p 12. Future Forms. Extra Grammar

Do Ex 1

Do Ex 2

rave review:

an article in a newspaper or magazine that is very enthusiastic about a particular film, book, etc.

E.g.
Her performance won rave reviews from the critics.
The play opened to rave reviews.

What films have received rave reviews recently? 

 

knuckle down:  

knuckle down (to something)
​(informal) to begin to work hard at something, especially when you should have done this earlier 

synonym: get down to
I'm going to have to knuckle down to some serious study.

 

Are you planning to knuckle down this year?

E.g.

It’s time you knuckled down to some work

 

Do Ex 3

Do Ex 4

Grammar reference p 199

staycation:
a holiday that you spend at or near your home
E.g.

Turn off your phone and computer—you’re on staycation, remember?
UK holidaymakers opt for a staycation in Britain.

You can save money by having a staycation rather than a vacation.

Why do people have a staycation?

 

Other future expressions:

Open World p 12. Future Expressions. Key Word Transformations

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.