Open World p 8. Making Conversation

This lesson is about making conversation

make conversation

to say things to someone who you do not know well, in order to be polite

E.g. 

I was just trying to make conversation.

 

What do you normally say to make conversation?

Sample answers

Introduce yourself   E.g. Hi, I’m Lisa. I’m new in this school and wanted to introduce myself.

Ask questions to the other person showing interest about them.

Pay a compliment. E.g. I really like your hair. The cut suits you.

Ask for information.

Comment on something pleasant E.g. Did you watch the football game last night? I think our team finally hit their stride.

hit your stride: to become familiar with and confident at something you have recently started doing: 

E.g.

Let's wait until she's hit her stride before we ask her to negotiate that contract


Both teams seem to have hit their stride in the second half.

Comment on the weather. It’s a beautiful day, isn’t it?" or “Can you believe all the snow we’re getting?

Ask for an opinion. E.g. How do you like the coffee from the new café?
Who do you find inspiring?
What’s the most valuable piece of  advice you could give?

Mention a shared experience (Your shared experiences make getting along easier, and that aids the flow of the conversation and building of the relationship.) E.g. How do you like studying in this school?

Make an observation E.g. The views from this window are beautiful!

 

What topics do you talk about to make conversation? 

Sample answers

News, sports, entertainment,...  

 

 

What expression is used to describe polite conversation about subjects that are ordinary or unimportant, especially at social occasions?

 

KEY

small talk

 

E.g. 

They made small talk for half an hour.
He has no small talk (= is not good at talking politely about unimportant subjects).
She was good at making small talk to put guests at their ease.

 

Tell us about the last time you tried to make polite small talk?

Sample sentence

 I tried to make polite small talk with him although he didn't seem interested

 

Title of the unit:

take it from me (that…)
 
Meaning
 
KEY


(informal) used to emphasize that what you are going to say is the truth. Accept that what I say is true, because I know or have experienced it. I can assure you. 
E.g.  
Take it from me—he'll be a millionaire before he's 30. 
"take it from me, kid—I've been there, done it, seen it all" 
It won't work - take it from me.    
 
 
Can you think of a similar expression?
 
KEY
 
 
 
also take my word for it
 

take my word for it  

Used for emphasizing that what you are saying is completely true. If you say to someone take my word for it, you mean that they should believe you because you know that what you are saying is correct. 

E.g. 

You'll have nothing but trouble if you buy that house, take my word for it.

Take my word for it, she still loves you! 

"I'm afraid you'll just have to take our word for it"  

 


What expression do we use to say or do something that makes people feel more relaxed, especially at the beginning of a meeting, party, etc.?

 

KEY

Break the ice 



E.g.


Jim organized a few party games to break the ice when people first arrived.

 

What noun comes from the expression "break the ice"?

 

KEY

 

 

icebreaker

a thing that you do or say, such as a game or a joke, to make people feel more relaxed, especially at the beginning of a meeting, party, etc. 

E.g.

This game is an effective icebreaker at the beginning of a semester. 


How do you relate the picture to the topic?

 

How do you describe someone, especially a child, who talks too much?

 

chatterbox

E.g. 

She hardly said a word until she was two, but now she's a little chatterbox. 

 

Do Ex 1 p 8

memorable /ˈmemərəbl/
worth remembering or easy to remember, especially because of being special or unusual. Unforgettable. 

E.g.

The holiday provided many memorable moments. 

 

Can you tell us about a truly memorable occasion?

Sample sentence

The day my son was born was a truly memorable experience. 

 

Do Ex 2 p 8 

Do Ex 3 p 8  

What sentences do you use to maintain successful conversations? 

 

Sample answers:

How to do the Interaction task?

 

Do Ex 4 p 8 

not by any stretch of the imagination
also by no stretch of the imagination
 

used to say strongly that something is not true, even if you try to imagine or believe it. Sp. ni por asomo. De ningún modo. Bajo ningún concepto. Ni con mucha imaginación.
 
E.g.

She could not, by any stretch of the imagination, be called beautiful.
By no stretch of the imagination could the trip be described as relaxing. 
 
Yes way!
 
E.g. 
 
"You passed your driving test? No way!" "Yes way!"
 

have somebody on
(informal) to try to make somebody believe something that is not true, usually as a joke.

E.g.
You didn't really, did you? You're not having me on, are you? 

 

Open World p 8 Ex 4. Listening Script. Track 002

Conversation 1

Speaker A: What aspects of learning English do you find the most difficult and the easiest?

Speaker B: I guess my weakest area would be my speaking. I’m quite a shy person really and when I speak I am really conscious of the errors I make, particularly with pronunciation.

Speaker A: Like what?

Speaker B: Well, there are certain words in English that aren’t pronounced as you read them or certain groups of letters which can have different sounds depending on the word.

For example, the letters o-u-g-h together. They can be pronounced oo as in through or oh as in though or ou as in thought. I am always mixing the sounds up.

Speaker A: I know what you mean. I have the same problem. And what about the things you find the easiest?

Speaker B: Oh, I don’t know. Probably reading.

Speaker A: Really? I have to say I struggle with multiple choice questions in readings.

At this level of English, it can sometimes be hard to decide which one is correct.

Speaker B: That’s true, but I would say that the fact that I read so much in my own language helps me.

Conversation 2

Speaker C: Tell me about any hobbies or interests that you have.

Speaker D: Music, that is to say, I’m a musician.

Speaker C: Oh, me too! What do you play?

Speaker D: The guitar. I’m actually in a moderately successful rock band. When I say moderately successful, I mean in my home city.

We are not international rock stars by any stretch of the imagination. Having said that, we have opened for Foo Fighters and Metallica.

Speaker C: No way!

Speaker D: Yes way! In fact, when Metallica played, we got to spend time with them backstage.

They’re really cool guys. James Hetfield, you know, the lead singer and rhythm guitarist, even gave me one of his guitars.

Speaker C: You’re having me on!

Speaker D: No. In fact, I played it for the first time that same night on stage.

My old guitar stopped working for some reason right in the middle of a song and my spare had a broken string.

Speaker C: What a nightmare!

Speaker D: Yes, not exactly what you want to happen when you are supporting Metallica. But one of the Metallica technicians lent me one of James’ guitars.

And it turns out that James himself was watching us play at the time. He was so impressed by my playing that he told me to keep the guitar. Of course, I had him sign it for me as well.

Speaker C: You’re so lucky! And I’m so jealous.

Conversation 3

Speaker E: Where did you go for your last holiday?

Speaker F: I went to Argentina.

Speaker E: Argentina, eh? That must have been lovely. Did you visit Buenos Aires?

Speaker F: Well, I flew into Buenos Aires airport and flew back from there as well, but I only spent two nights there in total.

Speaker E: Oh, why was that?

Speaker F: I was visiting some distant relatives on my father’s side for the very first time, and they live in the south, at the top of Patagonia. I had a great time.

Being so far south, we saw a lot of Antarctic wildlife. The penguins were amazing. And we took a boat trip and saw baby whales swimming with their parents.

They were so close to the boat - I could almost touch them.

Speaker E: That sounds amazing.

Speaker F: I know, right?

 

 
 

Do Ex 5 p 8

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.