Ready for CAE p 157. As or like? Theory and Practice

LIKE
When used as a preposition "like" is always followed by a noun or pronoun. It means similar to or the same as:
I look like my mother.
They have so many animals. Their house looks like a zoo.
What star sign are you? I'm Gemini, like you. 
You're stupid. Why do you say things like that?
I work like a slave = very hard. (I'm not a slave)

AS
- We use "as" in comparatives and with the same as:
You are as tall as me.
She works in the same office as me.

Barbara’s suggestion was almost exactly the same as mine.

-
"As" is used to indicate people's professions or the role or function of sb or sth:
He works as a waiter.
He works as a slave = he's a slave.
An electric drill can also be used as a screwdriver.

- When "as" is used as a conjunction, it is followed by a subject and a verb:
Do as I say and sit down.
Don't eat and speak at the same time, as my mother used to say.
As you know, we're leaving tomorrow.

- As is used after certain verbs, for example, define, know, refer, describe...
Officers described Jorge as a "greyhound". 

- "As" is used in the expressions as usual and as normal:
Jorge continued his life as normal. 

EXERCISE 
EXERCISE WITH VERBS FOLLOWED BY AS
KEY


You can read the theory here and here

You can do exercises here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.