Ready for CAE p 76. BAFTAS 2012. Extra Listening.



Watch the video and fill in the gaps with a word or phrase.
1. The star of Single Man, The King's Speech and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a man so brilliant, so talented and so successful that we would have been _________________ by his presence with us. However, it ______________  we do live in an ideal world because _______________, the Colin they call Firth!
2. "Actress in a leading role" is a category in which Colin Firth has been _________________________.
3. Viola Davis: "Just 24 years old, he _____________ the best part of a person's life. Anniversary of his death comes every year and I can't breathe. But to you all, it's just another day at Bridge"
4. Meryl Streep: "Perhaps the Right Honourable gentleman could attend more closely to what I'm saying, rather than how I am saying it. He may receive a valuable education________________ himself"
5. Meryl Streep: "the ________ of the well-known is to be misunderstood. And the ambition of this film, The Iron Lady, was to look at the life of the Iron Lady from the inside out and to locate something real, maybe hidden, but _____________ in the life of someone that we've all decided we all know everything about already."
6. Meryl Streep: " I owe so much to Phyllida Lloyd, Abi Morgan, Pathe, Damien Jones for _____________ this, for asking and expecting so much of me. I want to thank the _____________ Jim Broadbent, the __________________ Olivia Colman, my beloved moths, all 300 beautiful actors and crew that worked on this film
7. Prince Charming tried the ___________ on and it fitted.
8. A true Hollywood superstar is standing back there ____________ the BAFTA mask and golden envelope makes me all ____________, if I say Vanilla Sky, Volver and Pirates of the Caribbean, you will know who I mean. In fact she's so popular, they've even named a type of very popular beach, __________ and common leisure activity after her. The great Penelope Cruz.

KEY
1. bowled over (bowl somebody over: to surprise or impress somebody a lot) turns out, behold (to look at or see somebody/something).
2. grievously overlooked (grievous: very serious and often causing great pain or suffering) (overlook: to fail to see or notice something. Miss. E.g. In my hurry to finish the exam I had overlooked part of one of the questions.)
3. skipped
4.  in spite of
5. fate (the things, especially bad things, that will happen or have happened to somebody/something) truthful (saying only what is true, honest)
6. sticking with (stick with sth: to continue with something or continue doing something. E.g. They decided to stick with their original plan.) soulful (expressing or appearing to express deep and often sorrowful feeling) divinely gifted
7. slipper (a loose soft shoe that you wear in the house) 
8. clutching. (Clutch: to hold somebody/something tightly.) flattery (praise. Halagos) heath (a large area of open land that is not used for farming and is covered with rough grass and other small wild plants)

Transcript
Stephen Fry: Well, women who act for understandable reasons prefer usually to be called actors, not actresses. That is until it is awards time and they are prepared to make an exception and be nominated into the category "Best Actress". And that's the category we've now arrived at. In an ideal world, to present the award, I would have been able to introduce last year's winner of best actor. You know the star of Single Man, The King's Speech and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, a man so brilliant, so talented and so successful that we would have been bowled over by his presence with us. But ladies and gentlemen, it turns out  we do live in an ideal world because behold, the Colin they call Firth!
Colin Firth: Good evening! It's my great privilege to present a category in which I have been grievously overlooked- "Actress in a leading role". Let's have a look at the nominees.

Viola Davis- The Help
"Just 24 years old, he skipped the best part of a person's life. Anniversary of his death comes every year and I can't breathe. But to you all, it's just another day at Bridge"

Meryl Streep- The Iron Lady
"Perhaps the Right Honourable gentleman could attend more closely to what I'm saying, rather than how I am saying it. He may receive a valuable education in spite of himself"

Colin Firth: And the BAFTA goes to Meryl Streep
Meryl Streep: I'll get there! I'll get there! Oh my God. Thank you so much. That couldn't be worse, that couldn't have gone worse! Oh, gosh. Somebody once said, I think it was Margaret Atwood, actually I always say it was Atwood but I don't even know if she said this, but somebody once said, "the fate of the well-known is to be misunderstood. And the ambition of this film, The Iron Lady, was to look at the life of the Iron Lady from the inside out and to locate something real, maybe hidden, but truthful in the life of someone that we've all decided we all know everything about already. And I'm very proud of the film and I owe so much to Phyllida Lloyd, Abi Morgan, Pathe, Damien Jones for sticking with this, for asking and expecting so much of me. I want to thank the soulful Jim Broadbent, the divinely gifted Olivia Colman, my beloved moths, all 300 beautiful actors and crew that worked on this film and to say that half of me is Streep, but the other half is Wilkinson from Lincolnshire so I come by it honestly, this part. Thank you very very much I’m so grateful. I’m so grateful, thank you.
Stephen Fry: Oh Prince Charming tried the slipper on and it fitted Cinderella at once. What a happy ending! It follows as the night, the Dame that if there is to be an award for Best Actress, there should also be one for Best Actor. To remind us of the nominees and announce the chosen one, a true Hollywood superstar. Just knowing she's standing back there clutching the BAFTA mask and golden envelope makes me all flattery, if I say Vanilla Sky, Volver and Pirates of the Caribbean, you will know who I mean. In fact she's so popular, they've even named a type of very popular beach, heath and common leisure activity after her. The great Penelope Cruz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.