Open World p 77. Computer Helpdesk Conversations. Listening

Script

Track 040

Conversation 1

Customer: Hi. I'm having problems with resetting my password. Could you help me please?

Tech Support: Sure. What exactly seems to be the problem?

Customer: Well, first of all, when I try to enter my old password, the system says it's not recognised.

I've checked it three times and I keep getting the same message.

Tech Support: OK. Is Caps Lock on? Don't forget that passwords are case-sensitive.

Customer: Oh, that hadn't occurred to me. Hold on ...

Yes, you were right. I feel so foolish.

Tech Support: Not to worry. You're not the first person to make that mistake and I'm sure you won't be the last.

Would you like me to stay on the line while you change your password?

Customer: Well, if you wouldn't mind. OK, new password ...

Oh, now that's not working.

Tech Support: Just to check, you also need to include a symbol in there somewhere, you know like a question mark or something.

Customer: Oh, I see. So if I add in, say, an asterisk at the end, that should work.

Let me give that a go ...

... yes, that's it. Brilliant. Thanks a lot.

Tech Support: Don't mention it.

Conversation 2

Customer: Hi. I think my computer's been infected by a virus.

It's got really slow and it's difficult to download stuff.

Tech Support: OK, let me check a few things with you.

Have you recently installed any new software on your computer or have you opened any email attachments from people you don't know?

Customer: No. I am very careful to make sure anything I install is from a reputable source and I know the risks in opening unknown attachments with regards to malware and so on.

Tech Support: OK, good. Let's take a different approach then.

Have you tried closing down any other computer programmes that you have running in the background?

Customer: No, how do I do that?

Tech Support: Click on Control, Alt and Delete all at the same time to access Task Manager.

There are some tabs along the top.

First click on Apps and close any you're not using. Then do the same with Processes.

Customer: OK, anything else?

Tech Support: Yes, it's best if you restart your computer before trying to use it again. That should do the trick.

If not, call me back on the same extension number you used. I may need to remotely access your computer.

Conversation 3

Customer: Hello. I'm calling because I'm having trouble with your online payment portal.

It was working OK on my PC but now I want to use it on my phone.

I've downloaded the app but I can't seem to make a payment.

Tech Support: OK. Go to Settings and select Apps. Can you see our App there?

Customer: OK, bear with me a moment ... Yes, I've got it. What now?

Tech Support: OK. We're going to delete it and reinstall it.

So, what are the options you can see for the app?

Customer: There are only two: Uninstall or Force Stop.

Tech Support: Right. Click on uninstall.

Now go to the App store and search for our App. Click download.

Customer: OK, I'm doing that now.

OK, done.

Tech Support: Good. Now open the App and go to the drop-down menu.

Click on 'add user information'. You need to enter your name, address and card details and set up a password.

After you've done that, restart your phone and you should be able to make your payments.

Give us another call if you have any further problems.

 

Vocabulary:

case-sensitive: a program which is case-sensitive recognizes the difference between capital letters and small letters.

E.g.

Don't forget that passwords are case-sensitive

 

malware: software such as a virus specifically designed to damage or gain access to a computer system without the user knowing. Sp. programa maligno.

E.g.

the threat posed by malware     

How to protect yourself against malware.     

This program will scan for malware and remove it from your computer.

 

tab: an additional document or page that can be opened on computer software. Sp. pestaña

E.g.

You can easily switch between tabs. 

 

do the trick ​(informal) to succeed in solving a problem or achieving a particular result.

E.g.

I don't know what it was that did the trick, but I am definitely feeling much better. 


portal: /ˈpɔːtl/ a website that is used as a point of entry to the internet, where information has been collected that will be useful to a person interested in particular kinds of things.

E.g.

a business/news/shopping portal


can't seem: try unsuccessfully. Sp. parecer imposible
I can't seem to (= I've tried, but I can't) get started today. 

 

bear with somebody/something  ​to be patient with somebody/something.

E.g.

She's under a lot of strain. Just bear with her. If you will bear with me (= be patient and listen to me) a little longer, I'll answer your question. 

 

drop-down menu (also drop-down, drop-down list): a menu that appears on a computer screen when you choose it, and that stays there until you choose one of the functions on it. Sp. desplegable.

E.g.

Select your country of residence from the drop-down list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.