Open World p 66. New Technologies. Listening

Getting started

Do Ex 1

meme: /miːm/ 

an image, a video, a piece of text, etc. that is passed very quickly from one internet user to another, often with slight changes that make it humorous.

E.g.

an internet meme/a blog meme

 

Listening

Do Ex 1 and 2.

Script

Track 032

Jacintha: What do you think makes something go viral on the internet? Can you deliberately design content which has a high chance of going viral?

Mario: Well, apparently, there is a science to it - virality. Supposedly the key to it is triggering an emotional connection, such as nostalgia or awe.

Jacintha: Possibly, but then different people have different emotional responses to things.

No, I think the relevance of the post matters more. Whenever a current major event is in the news, it immediately generates hundreds of responses - videos, pictures, comments, memes and so on.

Mario: Yes, but it's the news story that goes viral, and usually the kinds of posts you are talking about tend to vanish into thin air after a few days.

To my mind, to go viral a post has to have something unique and unexpected about it. The problem is pinning down how to achieve this.

Jacintha: It's probably more of an art than a science, meaning you can't always put your finger on exactly what features of a post cause it to go viral.

I mean, sometimes it is obvious, but at other times you think, 'Why on earth did that go viral?' 

 

Vocabulary:

awe/ɔː/ feelings of respect and slight fear; feelings of being very impressed by something/somebody. Sp. asombro, temor,

E.g.

awe and respect     

awe and wonder     

with awe He speaks of her with awe.     

in awe 

‘It's magnificent,’ she whispered in awe


thin air used to refer to the state of being invisible or non-existent.     

E.g.

she just vanished into thin air

into thin air (desaparecer de golpe)

out of thin air: from nowhere or nothing, as if by magic (Sp. de la nada)

Unfortunately, I can’t just conjure up (make appear) the money out of thin air!

 

pin something down ​to explain or understand something exactly. Sp. determinar, identificar, definir.

E.g.

The cause of the disease is difficult to pin down precisely. 

The difference between the two approaches is hard to pin down precisely.

 

(not) put your finger on something      ​to (not) be able to identify what is wrong or different about a particular situation.

E.g.

There was something odd about him but I couldn't put my finger on it.         

You've put your finger on something there—we'll need to investigate that. 


Do Ex 3



Script

Track 033

Zara: Yesterday I read an article about AI - you know, artificial intelligence.

It blows my mind seeing just how many different areas of life it can be applied to. For example, medicine.

Apparently, thanks to a model called deep learning, machines can now detect certain eye conditions as successfully as humans.

Jake: Are you sure it's true? I'm slightly sceptical to be honest.

The other day, I was using one of these online diagnostic chats to try and find out what was wrong with my cat.

It was absolutely useless. It didn't give any meaningful responses to the symptoms I was typing in.

I actually think it's quite irresponsible to present a machine as an 'expert', particularly a vet or even worse, a doctor.

Zara: Well, it's definitely true that you need to be cautious with these things as their ultimate aim is to make money, but the high-grade applications that they use in hospitals are obviously a lot more reliable than those used by random websites.

Jake: I read recently that you can get artificial 'lawyers' too.

They charge a lot less than real ones!

Zara: But if their advice is wrong, it will cost you a lot more in the long run. 

 

Vocabulary

high-grade of very good quality 

E.g.

high-grade petrol 

high-grade beef  


in the long run      ​relating to a longer period in the future     Sp. a la larga.   

E.g.

This measure inevitably means higher taxes in the long run.

 

Do Ex 4 

and then Ex 1 on page 67

Script



Track 034

Jim: I haven't been able to finish the project because my internet went down two days ago.

After we had the fibre optic connection put in, the connection had really sped up but for some reason, it's now slowed down again.

I've been on the phone to them three times, but you know what they said ...

Rosie: Let me guess - switch it off and on again! That's what they usually suggest.

Jim: Exactly. Not rocket science, right? Anyway, have you got your project done?

Rosie: No, I've got technical problems too.

I really need to log on to the VLE to download the topics and guidelines but I've mysteriously been locked out.

When they prompt me to sign in, I can't enter my username or password.

I'm also a bit worried about some of my files being corrupted. I haven't bothered to back them up in ages.

Jim: I know what you mean. I always forget to do that and occasionally I pay the price when I find an important file won't open just when I need it.

And another thing - there's a problem with the ink in my printer, so even if I manage to do the research on my phone and write the paper, I often can't print it out. It's driving me crazy. 

 

Vocabulary

go down: to stop working temporarily /ˈtemprərəli/. Sp. caer (dejar de funcionar)

E.g.

The system is going down in ten minutes. 


put something in      ​to fix equipment or furniture into position so that it can be used. synonym install.

E.g.

 We're having a new shower put in.



prompt somebody to do something (computing)     to ask someone to do something on a computer.

E.g.

A message will appear which will prompt you for certain information 

The program will prompt you to enter data where required.


corrupt (something)  /kəˈrʌpt/ (computing) to cause mistakes to appear in a computer file, etc. with the result that the information in it is no longer correct; (of a computer file, etc.) to start containing mistakes.

E.g.

The program has somehow corrupted the system files.     

A virus has corrupted the data and now it's useless


back something up      ​(computing) to prepare a second copy of a file, program, etc. that can be used if the main one fails or needs extra support. Sp. realizar una copia de seguridad.

E.g.

It's a good idea to back up your files onto a memory stick.

 

pay the/a penalty/price (for something/for doing something)      ​to suffer because of bad luck, a mistake or something you have done.

E.g.

He looked terrible this morning. I think he's paying the penalty for all those late nights.         

They're now paying the price for past mistakes.         

She thinks that any inconvenience is a price worth paying for living in such a beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.