Open World WB p 19. Spending Money. Listening

Do Ex 2

Script



Track 008

Extract 1

Speaker A: It’s always going to form a big part of what people want and what they might aspire to, isn’t it?

Speaker B: In what way?

Speaker A: Well, your surroundings are often the key to your decisions; what you see around you is of the utmost importance, and for many people it’s difficult to resist the urge to be part of a crowd,if you know what I’m getting at.

Speaker B: Possibly. If I’ve understood you correctly here, you’re suggesting that it’s not just the things you see that are important, but the people too, especially the ones that you look up to or just enjoy spending time with.

Speaker A: Exactly.

Speaker B: Okay. I might take issue with you on that, though …

Extract 2

Speaker A: The fact is, there is a real inconsistency. While you might pay, I don’t know, one price for your shopping here, you’ll be struggling to find the same thing for the same price elsewhere.

Speaker B: I’m not sure if I follow you

Speaker A: Well, how much is a cup of coffee on campus? I don’t know exactly, but it’s not going to break the bank, is it? Go into town, on the other hand …

Speaker B: Ah, so correct me if I’m wrong, but what you’re saying is that people decide what to buy according to where they are at that point in time.

Speaker A: Quite.

Speaker B: Okay, I see your point, but

Extract 3

Speaker A: We all like to see ourselves as individuals who aren’t taken in by this or that … I mean, many of us float through life believing that our decisions are completely our own, but is that really the case?

Speaker B: Possibly. What’s the main point that you’re driving at?

Speaker A: It’s just that so much money is spent on making us want to own certain things, or to feel certain ways about certain products, and we all fall for it all the time. We can’t help it.

Speaker B: So, if I’m not mistaken, what you’re saying is that we have no choice but to give in to suggestion?

Speaker A: Precisely.

Speaker B: To be honest, I’m not sure I’d go along with that … 

 

Vocabulary



taken somebody in

to make somebody believe something that is not true. Synonym deceive.

E.g.

She took me in completely with her story. 

Don't be taken in by his charm—he's ruthless.  


fall for something
​[no passive] (informal) to be tricked into believing something that is not true.

E.g.

I'm surprised you fell for that trick. 



give in to something to no longer try to stop yourself from doing something you want to do.  Sp. caer en algo (la tentación, desesperación)

E.g.

Don’t give in to the temptation to argue back.  If you feel the urge for a cigarette, try not to give in to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.