Monday, 3 February 2014

Speakout Advanced p 126. Transformations Exercise 8. Extra Practice




0 The emergency chute hasn’t been working for a week.

ORDER

The emergency chute ____________________________ for a week.

1 Ted Williams has been on drugs so often that there’s a risk he will lose his new job.

DANGER

Ted Williams is _________________________________ his new job because he’s been on drugs so often.

2 Legal immigrants won’t have to pay to get in.

ADMITTED

Legal immigrants  ___________________________________ of charge.

3 Bringing up two brilliant daughters requires a lot of sacrifice.

DEAL

A ____________________________________ required to bring up two brilliant daughters .

4 The journalist wasn’t surprised to hear that Maria Amelie had been deported.

CAME

Maria Amelie’s deportation_____________________________ to the journalist.

5 Should  you see Mary, tell her we all miss her

HAPPEN

___________________________________________ Mary, tell her we all miss her

6 "This problem must be solved immediately!" said the headteacher.

FIND

"Please take immediate _________________________________ to this problem!" said the headteacher. 

7. She has a one-hour journey to work every day. 

TAKES 

Her _____________________________________ every day. 


8. It wasn’t until I finished going out with him that I realised I missed him. 

BROKEN 

Not until I ___________________________ I realise that I missed him.



9 I thought Julian’s original plan was to move to Australia.

IMPRESSION

I __________________________ was originally planning to move to Australia.

10 It looks like you didn’t sleep well last night.

IF

You look _____________________________________ much sleep last night.

11 I told Steven I would be happy to drive him to the airport but he wanted to walk.

LIFT

I offered _____________________________ to the airport but he wanted to walk.

12 She was beginning to change her mind about taking the job.

SECOND

She was _____________________________ the job

13 The problem is not my fault

BLAME

I _____________________________ the problem






KEY

0 The emergency chute hasn’t been working for a week.

ORDER

The emergency chute HAS BEEN OUT OF ORDER for a week.

1 Ted Williams has been on drugs so often that there’s a risk he will lose his new job.

DANGER

Ted Williams is IN DANGER OF LOSING his new job because he’s been on drugs so often.

2 Legal immigrants won’t have to pay to get in.

ADMITTED

Legal immigrants ARE / WILL BE ADMITTED FREE of charge.

3 Bringing up two brilliant daughters requires a lot of sacrifice.

DEAL

A GREAT / GOOD DEAL OF SACRIFICE IS required to bring up two brilliant daughters .

4 The journalist wasn’t surprised to hear that Maria Amelie had been deported.

CAME

Maria Amelie’s deportation CAME AS NO SURPRISE to the journalist.

5 Should  you see Mary, tell her we all miss her

HAPPEN

IF YOU (SHOULD) HAPPEN TO SEE Mary, tell her we all miss her.


6 "This problem must be solved immediately!" said the headteacher.

FIND

"Please take immediate _ACTION/STEPS/MEASURES TO FIND A SOLUTION/ AN ANSWER_ to this problem!" said the headteacher.

7. She has a one-hour journey to work every day. 

TAKES 

Her __journey to work takes an/one hour___ every day.

8. It wasn’t until I finished going out with him that I realised I missed him. 

BROKEN 

Not until I __ had broken up with_him_ did I realise that I missed him.


9 I thought Julian’s original plan was to move to Australia.

IMPRESSION

I WAS UNDER / HAD / GOT THE IMPRESSION THAT JULIAN was originally planning to move to Australia.

10 It looks like you didn’t sleep well last night.

IF

You look AS IF YOU DID NOT (DIDN’T) GET / HAVE much sleep last night.
   
11. I told Steven I would be happy to drive him to the airport but he wanted to walk.


LIFT

I offered TO GIVE STEVEN A LIFT / STEVEN A LIFT to the airport but he wanted to walk.

12 She was beginning to change her mind about taking the job.

SECOND

She was _beginning to have second thoughts about (taking)__ the job

13 The problem is not my fault

BLAME

I __am not to blame for___ the problem




 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.