EF C1.1 p 14. The Night Receptionist. Word Formation

People assume I get bored, but I enjoy the (1)___________ (SOLITARY) . I like the (2)_________ (HOUR) walks through the quiet corridors and listening to the patter of the rain on the windows while enjoying a cup of tea. I enjoy finishing a good book or watching the birds in the car park feeding on the muffins I put out yesterday. 

The (3)___________ (TIRED) is the hardest. Sometimes I have a good routine and my sleep is not affected. Other times, I walk into doors, zombie-like, and (4)____________ (OCCASION) I’ve been surprised to find that I’ve actually made it home. My husband tells me I should find a new job, and I have been applying for some since I began working here, but ‘night receptionist’ is not a good thing to put on a CV. 

I’m good with people; I just don’t like a lot of them. But though my job often (5)____________(PERPETUAL) this (6)__________(LIKE), I am (7)______________ (COMPASSION) towards those in need. I never think twice about letting someone in from the cold, or giving away a free room if it is a genuine cause. But if the intercom goes off at 2 a.m. and I see a couple who can hardly stand, I’ll probably say the hotel is full, even when it isn’t, (8)____________ (ESPECIAL) if I’ve just prepared a (9)____________(NOURISHMENT) AND (10)____________ (APPETITE) midnight snack. 

 

 

 

KEY

 

 

1. solitude

 

 

 

 

 

2. hourly 

 

 

 

 

 

3. tiredness 

 

 

 

 

4. occasionally 

 

 

 

 

 

5. perpetuates 

 

 

 

 

6. dislike 

 

 

 

 

7. compassionate 

 

 

 

 

8. especially 

 

 

 

9. NOURISHING 

 

 

 

 

10. APPETIZING 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.