Open World p 9. Past and Perfect Tenses: Matt Cardle sings The First Time (Ever I Saw Your Face). Extra Listening


 Listen to the song and fill in the gaps

   

First Time Ever I Saw Your Face  

The first time ever I saw your face 

I thought the sun (1)____________ in your eyes 

And the moon and stars were the (2)__________ you gave 

To the (3)___________ and the empty skies 

And the first time ever I (4)_____________ with you 

I felt your heart so (5)___________ to mine 

The first time ever I saw your face, your face, your face, your face  

KEY: 

 First Time Ever I Saw Your Face  

The first time ever I saw your face 

I thought the sun (1) rose in your eyes 

 

And the moon and stars were the (2) gifts you gave 

 

To the (3) dark and the empty skies 

 

And the first time ever I (4) lay with you 

 

I felt your heart so (5) close to mine 

The first time ever I saw your face, your face, your face, your face

 

NOTES:

In this song you have the verbs: rise, rose, risen and lie, lay, lain (both intransitive). 

Don't confuse them with their transitive counterparts: raise, raised and lay, laid, laid

Also notice the structure: "the first time I did something" and compare it with these other structures that need to be followed by the perfect form (not the past simple):  

- This/that/it is the first/second/third...time I have done something 

- That/it was the first/second/third...time I had done something

Compare:


I ate fish and ships the first time I went to England when I was only 17

I went to England when I was only 17. That was the first time I had eaten fish and ships.

 

Finally, notice one of the judges' comment: completely and utterly stunning

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.